UNIL is a leading international teaching and research institution, with over 5,000 employees and 15,500 students split between its Dorigny campus, CHUV and Epalinges. UNIL and CHUV encourage excellence, individual recognition and responsibility. The Faculty of Biology and Medicine (FBM) and the Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV) are inviting applications for a position of:
Physician, Full Professor, Head of the orthopaedic and trauma Service
within the Department of musculoskeletal system (DAL)
Starting date: 01.08.2024
Place: Lausanne, Suisse
The Orthopaedics and Traumatology Service, which is part of the Department of musculoskeletal system, specializes in the treatment of all traumatic and degenerative conditions of the adult musculoskeletal system: shoulders and upper limbs, hips, knees, ankles and feet.
As a university service, recognized as a postgraduate training establishment for the ISFM specialist title in orthopaedic surgery and traumatology, it is heavily involved in teaching and also participates in the continuing education of specialists. In addition, the OTR Service makes a major contribution to the teaching of paramedical professions (HES, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, nursing, operating room technicians, etc.). Finally, an important research activity is being developed, including clinical studies, fundamental and translational research activities, ranging from the analysis of molecular and cellular mechanisms at the bone and cartilage level to the study of new joint implants, to develop new strategies for the diagnosis, follow-up, and modern treatment of osteoarticular diseases.
• Lead, organize and ensure the development of all activities typical of a Clinical Service in a university hospital
• Ensure and reinforce the expertise and safety of clinical missions/services while developing inter-institutional collaborations and synergies in line with the CHUV strategic plan.
• Conduct and develop high level clinical and academic research missions, financed by external funds and published in quality scientific journals, including its own research
• Ensure and guarantee the missions of pre-graduate training (according to FBM needs), post-graduate training (ISFM training center cat. A1) and continuing education in the field of the discipline by assuming the function of discipline manager and by participating in it
• Consolidate the influence of the clinical and academic field both internally and externally
• Federal medical degree (or Mebeko recognition required), MD or MD-PhD
• ISFM specialist title (or Mebeko recognition required) in orthopedic surgery and traumatology of the musculoskeletal system
• Extensive clinical experience in the field of tertiary level orthopedic surgery and traumatology
• Widely recognized (or certified) managerial skills in leading a large/multi-site team and relevant project management experience
• Academic knowledge of professorial rank with proven practice in pre- and post-graduate teaching
• Ability to set up clinical research programs that can be supported by external expert funding
• Good knowledge of French (LM or C1 ideal, minimum B2 with ability to acquire it quickly)
Further information may be obtained from Prof. Nicolas Demartines CHUV CEO and Prof. Manuel Pascual, FBM Dean.
Applications, in English, should include i) a motivation letter, ii) a curriculum vitae, iii) a list of publications highlighting the five most significant ones, iv) a brief statement (5 pages max.) of the past and future research, v) a summary of previous teaching experience (if applicable), vi) and the names and contact information of at least three references, vii) a copy of diplomas, and viii) a valid identity card.
Applications should be submitted online by April 10th, 2023 (23:59 GMT+1) to wwwfbm.unil.ch/releve/application/ as a single PDF file.
The job description is available on the same link.
We offer a pleasant working atmosphere in a multicultural, diverse and dynamic academic environment. There are possibilities for continuing professional education and a multitude of activities and other benefits to discover.
UNIL and CHUV are committed to promoting gender equality and diversity and strongly encourage applications from female candidates. www.unil.ch/egalite.