Physician, Associate Professor in Hematology at the Service of Hematology (HEM) and Central Laboratory (LCH) of the CHUV
UNIL is a leading international teaching and research institution, with over 5,000 employees and 15,500 students split between its Dorigny campus, CHUV and Epalinges. UNIL and CHUV encourage excellence, individual recognition and responsibility. The Faculty of Biology and Medicine (FBM) and the Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV) are inviting applications for a position of:
Physician, Associate Professor in Hematology
at the Service of Hematology (HEM) and Central Laboratory (LCH) of the CHUV
Starting date: 01.01.2024 (or to be agreed)
Place: Lausanne, Switzerland
The Central Hematology Service and Laboratory at the CHUV covers the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of hematologic diseases, including coagulation and hemostasis disorders, classical hematology, myeloproliferative neoplasms, myelodysplastic syndromes and bone marrow failure syndromes, leukemias, lymphomas, and plasma cell neoplasms. The central routine hematology laboratory consists of 24/7 hematology and hemostasis units, including specialized hemostasis testing, cytology and immunophenotyping, molecular biology and oncogenomics. The Service and laboratory conduct clinical studies, have several basic and translational research laboratories, with a JACIE accredited stem cell processing unit, and perform a range of conventional and novel cell therapies in close collaboration with the Immuno-Oncology service.
1. Patient Care: Master diagnostic, therapeutic aspects and responsibility for supervision of patient care in accordance with institutional guidelines, while actively participating. Responsible for the clinical care of inpatients and outpatients with acute leukemia with participation in on-call duties. Establish the development of a center of excellence for the treatment of leukemia, in close partnership with collaborators in clinical, diagnostic and basic research.
2. Diagnostic Laboratory Activities: Ensure the proper functioning of a laboratory area, interpretation of cytometry data, blood counts, marrow/markers.
3. Research: Conduct and develop a competitive clinical and translational research program according to CHUV/FBM standards, externally funded with expertise and results published in quality scientific journals, including own research.
4. Teaching: Participate in pre-graduate (as needed by the FBM), post-graduate (ISFM cat. A1 training center), continuing and inter-professional education missions in the field of Hematology.
5. Management: Assist the head of the department on a daily basis and consolidate the influence of the clinical and academic field both internally and externally.
UNIL and CHUV are committed to promoting gender equality and diversity and strongly encourage applications from female candidates UNIL Equality CHUV medical careers.
Desired profile: We are looking for a highly motivated academic clinical hematologist to develop an internationally competitive program in hematology care and acute leukemia research.
- Federal medical degree (or Mebeko recognition required), MD or MD-PhD
- ISFM specialist title in hematology (or Mebeko recognition required)
- FAMH specialist title (or equivalent) in laboratory hematology is an asset
- Extensive and proven clinical experience in all aspects of hematology, including hematologic laboratory medicine.
- Teamwork skills, project management experience and knowledge of the academic hospital environment
- Academic knowledge of professorial rank with proven practice in pre- and post-graduate teaching, continuous training and inter-professional education
- Ability to set up clinical research programs that can be supported by external expert funding
- Good knowledge of French (LM or C1 ideal, minimum B2 with ability to acquire it quickly)
We offer a pleasant working atmosphere in a multicultural, diverse and dynamic academic environment. There are possibilities for continuing professional education and a multitude of activities and other benefits to discover.
Further information may be obtained from Prof. Holger AUNER (Holger.Auner@chuv.ch), Head of the Service of Hematology.
Applications, in English, should include i) a motivation letter, ii) a curriculum vitae, iii) a list of publications highlighting the five most significant ones, iv) a brief statement (5 pages max.) of the past and future research, v) a summary of previous teaching experience (if applicable), vi) and the names and contact information of at least three references, vii) a copy of diplomas, and viii) a valid identity card. Applications should be submitted online by July 9th, 2023 (23:59 GMT+1) to wwwfbm.unil.ch/releve/application/ as a single PDF file. The job description is available on the same link.